Interestingly, Spotify initially chose not to officially announce the new addition, despite numerous reports indicating the voice option was showing up for many people in their Spotify app, leading to some user confusion about availability.
Is 'Hey Spotify' for podcasts?
Yes. So, in other words, whenever you want to play a specific song or podcast just say “Hey, Spotify” and then tell the assistant to play whatever you want.
How do I set up 'Hey Spotify' for hands-free control?
For: Premium on mobile
Use Spotify Voice for quick and easy access to your favorite music, podcasts, and videos. You can also use it to search for your friends. Just ask!
- “Play something I like”.
- “Play Drake’s latest release”.
- “Play my Daily Mix”.
- “Recommend me something”.
- “Play some hip hop”.
- Go to your mobile Settings.
- Tap Privacy.
- Tap Microphone. Apps that require access to your microphone display here.
- Switch Spotify’s access to your microphone on/off.
- Go to your mobile Settings.
- Tap Apps, then Spotify.
- Tap Permissions.
- Next to Microphone, switch Spotify’s access to it on/off.
“Just enable your mic and say ‘Hey Spotify, Play my Favorite Songs.” When tapped, the notification launches Spotify’s new voice interface where users are pushed to first give the app permission to use the microphone in order to be able to verbally request the music they want to hear.
5 Things to Know About the New ‘Hey Spotify’ Feature
Read on for five things to know about the new “Hey Spotify” voice experience.
- It’s up to you to turn it on… Go to Search, tap the mic icon, and give Spotify permission to record audio or access your microphone. Once that’s enabled, say “Hey Spotify” to ask for music and podcasts, control playback, and more.
- …Or turn it off: Simply tap the gear icon to go to Settings, then tap “Voice interactions.” You can turn off “Hey Spotify” or tap mic permissions to disable the voice feature completely.
- No more Search parties: ‘Hey Spotify’ means that you can access Spotify Voice from anywhere in the app, so you no longer have to go through the Search tab to access the voice feature. Simply say a phrase like “Hey Spotify, play my Daily Drive,” to instantly hear the mix.
- It’s easier to listen to what you like: You can ask Spotify directly to play countless songs, artists, moods, and genres—from the artist you’ve listened to for years to a new track you can’t get out of your head. Even if you’ve forgotten the name of a specific song, just asking Spotify to play a particular artist or genre will get you to music you’ll love. Or, if you’re in the mood for podcasts, jump back into your latest listening binge by asking us for your favorite shows.
- When you say, “Hey Spotify…” the app will begin picking up what you say, and continue only until it’s processed your question or request. Plus, Spotify will always indicate—with an in-app visual or audio tone—when it is receiving your voice input. The rest of the time, the app listens for “Hey Spotify” in short, few-second snippets that are deleted if you don’t say it. To learn more about how “Hey Spotify” works, see our voice controls policy.
“Hey Spotify” recently started rolling out to some listeners in the U.S. across iOS and Android devices, with more to follow over the next few weeks. The downside? Voice control may not be available to those outside the US (booo Spotify) but hopefully this feature is made available to users in other countries.
Spotify has also released a ‘Car Thing’ (only available in the US currently) device which makes it easier for you to hear the podcasts you love.